Thread: Spirit of NKS
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 08:15 AM
ManFlex
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: A320 Left

Originally Posted by Lobaeux View Post
I sat in the jump of a United 737 the other day, great, great guys. The FO had been at Continental pre-9/11, no furlough and was holding a good line with the days off he wanted, no desire to upgrade. He was looking at moving over to the 787, but was afraid his QOL would go down.

9/11 was nearly 14 years ago! 14! I thought the movement was much, much better than the right seat of a 737. Granted he makes a good living, but 14+ years in the right seat? In a 737, it had a glass cockpit, but holy cow that airplane looked like it was 40 years old! It was so loud! His hands were flying all over the cockpit flipping switches, dialing buttons, looking at charts, and he was the PF!!

Maybe I've become spoiled, but I prefer a more gentlemanly time in the air, a nice quiet flight deck, pleasant conversation and a cup of tea on my tray table.

I'm not an expert on United. At Delta, lots of new hires are going straight into the 757/767. In fact, a mid 2014 hire would be nearly 50% on the 7ER in NYC and able to hold all European layovers this summer. By second year pay, that 7ER FO is making more than our 3rd and 4th year A320 captains. And that 7ER FO is probably getting 15 days off a month as well.

I've enjoyed most things at Spirit. But let's not understate the fact that we certainly have our work cut out for us with this next CBA.