View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Hansel
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2010

Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Guys,
I totally agree on rushing the unit. I do not agree if a unit, who knows you just paid for college, on your own, then asks you if you will enlist to show your serious. Just tell them the truth that you paid for your degree and want to start pilot training at a young age as you hope to be in a leadeship role some day, they will back off. I also agree the guard is more enlisted to officer friendly, but if they are willing to take him for UPT, then that's what we should be advising him to do. If they were to guarantee him UPT after two-four years enlisted, that's different. We all know there are no guarantees in life. I agree at UPT there are older folks coming through, but I have also been a maintenance group commander and seen the opposite thing happen when someone gets deployed etc and the time slipped by. I have also seen the same folks get married and have kids and then they feel behind and change their mind, I am sure you have seen the same. The good thing is he can take all of the advice we are giving him and do his own research. All of us have had different life experiences. The financial side of things have not been discussed, so my advice is go to a military pay scale chart and see if you can even afford to go enlisted post school with possible school loans etc, another eye opener for some of the troops out there. There are plenty of units out there that will not ask you to go enlisted to prove your intents. Just get out there and start rushing, never too early. Best, Natty
I will agree that the key is to do your research and talk to the units that you are interested in. Each organization is unique and have different desires. I will also agree that if you decide to finish college than the best option (at least initially) would be to not enlist. At that pint you might as well start applying.

My advice, for what it's worth, enlist now in an Ops centric career field (life support, crew chief, enlisted aircrew if you are interested in heavies, etc - Not security forces, personnel etc), let the ANG pay for your remaining school and then apply for a UPT slot. But that is merely the route that worked for me, as Natty stated, listen to everyone's advice and decide what works best for you.