View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 05:55 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Chuck reiterates the spirit of a good aviator, who flies the plane and does not look for simple crutches to save him from what he should already know. From a post of mine awhile back:

Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post
I agree, if somebody is going to stall/spin then they probably should not be flying. It would just be one more gauge to ignore while yanking back on the yoke.
Not many GA pilots land on carrier decks (BTW which could easily be done in my 182 without an AOA gauge).

Another excellent recent article by the always reasonable Dick Collins:

Smoke and flames report - is the GA safety picture changing? - Air Facts Journal

Maybe if the stall warning were renamed the AOA warning perhaps the near-hysteria among government folks and some safety mavens about AOA would go away.
When my father started AIR FACTS in 1938, stall/spin accidents were the safety subject of the day. They still are and that will likely remain true for a long time. The accidents of today bear a great similarity to the ones of 77 years ago and I honestly can’t read the accident reports and identify many, if any, accidents that more complete AOA instrumentation would have prevented. If a pilot can’t get the message from the airspeed, from feel of the airplane, from the look of what is going on, and from the bleat of a stall horn, how can another gauge on the instrument panel help?