Thread: Trans States
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 03:48 AM
pagey
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Left

Originally Posted by vaporlock1215 View Post
I honestly don't know why people use the fms for glideslope in the first place. It's simple math. Every once in awhile a pm will throw in 2 degrees or whatever even after I briefed when I'll start heading down. Seriously what's up with that?! When they do that I avoid it and descend at a different angle. Run some numbers in your head and quite relying on the damn fms.
Well, I'm sure most can do the math for a descent path.

Not using the FMS is adding task saturation to your brain that you don't need while entering a relatively busy segment of your flight. The PM will have his head down a lot. He will be talking to FAs, maybe talking to OPS. He's not there to double check any mistakes, and you may be busy briefing, pulling charts etc, etc.

Automation has been proven to have significantly increase safety in modern aviation to the point where it is literally the safest for of travel, you don't want to use said automation so you can prove that you can do simple multiplication?

"Avoid the descent angle".......for the love of god, WHY?? You cannot give me a good reason to do this.

Stop being a tough guy and use the capabilities of the aircraft.