View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Adanac
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Default Missed approach altitude

Our company has told us several times recently that if we are cleared for a visual approach, to set and plan pattern altitude (1500 AFL) for the missed approach.

However, many guys I fly with still make up their own altitude. At O'hare, it's 4,000. At a smaller airport, say Peoria for example, guys might set pattern altitude OR I've flown with guys that are cleared for the visual but still set and plan the altitude for the ILS missed approach.

It makes the most sense to me to plan the published altitude if you're on an instrument approach and to set pattern altitude if you are cleared for a visual and just plan that until the controller tells you something else to do.

Does anyone know the official correct way to do this? I've tried to look it up in multiple sources and really can't find a clear answer.

I feel like every one I fly with comes up with something different and if we were to really go missed and aren't able to contact tower right away (maybe because of radio congestion), everyone should be on the same page as to what we are doing, altitude wise.

Thanks for the input.