View Single Post
Old 08-13-2015, 05:09 PM
ShyGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by CousinEddie View Post
Yeah, it is. Let me make it simple for you.

Suppose you are a business owner. Let's say you own a sandwich shop. After years of working hard, you have established your business and are modestly successful. Your place has a good reputation in town that you worked hard to create. You treat your employees well and compensate them fairly.

Then one day I open a competing sandwich shop across the street. No problem you figure, you will double down and compete with me. The only problem is, my old man is a very wealthy guy and is desperate to see me finally "make it" in life. You see, I've been a dysfunctional screwball for a long time, much to the great frustration of the old man. So, to make sure that I finally grow up and make something of myself, the old man directly injects his own money into the business. He has deep pockets and is determined to do whatever it takes, year after year. This unnatural market distortion allows me to put the screws to you across the street. Before long, your former customers are telling you about the better quality and cheaper sandwiches across the street. They start to see you as incompetent. After all, why can't you provide a product at a price like the guy across the street? Must be something wrong with you! Of course, I can afford to load up my sandwiches in a way that would be completely unsustainable for you. Before long, you are looking at your business failing. Your customers are now mine.

I suppose that you would be just fine with such a scenario.

Get it now?
Except your sandwich stop is in the United States and his is in Dubai. No American is buying their sandwiches from Emirates here. Your scenario would make sense if Emirates was flying LGA-ATL, then you have a point.