View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 12:41 PM
OpenClimb
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: A320 CA

I'm just getting to the point of needing reading glasses. As you mentioned, it depends on how tired I am and how dim the lighting. I bought a 4-pack of +1.25 reading glasses from Costco and they've done the trick so far.

My AME says I still see well enough up close that I don't need the notation on my license. I've been on the same airplane for over a decade so I had the luxury of having the overhead panel memorized long before my eyes started going bad. If I can catch a few letters here or there, I can properly identify the switch or button.

If I needed really crisp vision for the overhead panel, I'd look into having some specialized readers made. Some people call them librarian glasses because librarians have a need to look up and read small print on the spine of a book. The optician puts near vision correction at the top of the lens. I've been told by some old-timer airline pilots that these glasses work pretty well for us, too.

Might be worth asking your eye doc. They might not come up with the suggestion on their own because I'm sure librarians are even more rare than airline pilots these days!

Welcome to being middle-aged!