View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Flyinhigh
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Retired

I am retired and on Medicare but my wife is still under 65 and is using our FedEx Retiree Health Care with Tricare Standard as a supplement. I put her on the Anthem Blue Cross High Deductible plan($500 deductible) which costs $153 per month. Copays generally run anywhere from $70 for an office visit up to $250 for outpatient surgery. Most services are covered at 80% after the deductible is met. So far this year we have paid about $56 out of pocket for over $10,000 in billed medical expenses. Our pharmacy expenses have been about $33 out of pocket on just over $2300.
Several of her doctors do not accept Tricare so I have to do some paperwork and file some claims but it really has been fairly painless once I learned the system. If you are in an area where the majority of the medical facilities accept Tricare, then Tricare Standard should be all you need if you get the MOAA Supplement. If you are in an area where they do not accept Tricare, then looking in to a high deductible policy with your employer may be the way to go.