View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Inbluskyz
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Originally Posted by schone View Post
I'm by no means an expert, but here's my understanding.....

Supposedly the pitching down moment is caused by the engines' location in the back of the airplane as opposed to wing mounted ones and where the thrust line is in relation to the body of mass being pushed.

As for getting the pusher, I believe that has to do with the smoothness of getting that nose up and maintaining that pull. If you pull it too hard you put some more loads on those wings or at least make the computer think that and get a pusher as means of protection.

Guys....? chime in.
I'm no expert either, but I think you're right. The nose will pitch down with an increase of thrust (especially with max power). The RJ recovers from an incipient stall using only thrust to increase speed as opposed to increased thrust and a low pitch attitude as is the recovery techniques with smaller recips.

When max power is set, the nose will tend to drop and if the controls are not smooth to correct this, the aircraft will end up in a secondary stall as indicated by the stick pusher activation.

Your sim partner should smoothly (and maybe a tad slower)set the thrust to max power. Then smoothly maintain your target attitude.

Also, the perfomance of each simulator differs, some are more sensitive than others. Others need tweaking to bring them closer to reality.