View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 11:15 AM
LeineLodge
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: DAL FO

Originally Posted by Kargo View Post
Hey Gang, a question that's a bit off topic. OK, way off topic.

I'm trying to hire a Nanny (I told you WAY off topic) and am trying to find a good background check service. Considering we're all gone half the month and many of us have silly spouses who think they want to work/school too, I thought maybe someone might have a good resource.

Anyone?

Thanks, please return to your normal discourse...
Care.com is a good start. Delta had a discount with them via perks.

Use it to narrow down candidates but then go several steps further. Treat it like a full on job interview because that's what it is. We got burned a few times (and have plenty of friends with much worse stories) because we didn't go serious enough. Specifically make them provide I-9 documentation and have them sign a written contract detailing what you expect from each other. It doesn't really matter what the language says as long as you both go in with a full understanding of what the other is expected to do.

Check references, preferably other families they have worked for. Get a copy of social security cards and ensure they understand withholding of unemployment, taxes etc if you plan to do it above board (you should) and especially if you intend to use the dependent flex account ($5000 max per year tax free.)

The biggest problem we had was a friend of a friend. Nice lady but totally unreliable/unprofessional. See point number one about treating it like a professional job interview and you will be way ahead.

PM me if you want for more specifics. After a few rounds of trial and error we found an amazing lady who is like a family member now after several years of getting along just fine - so it is doable, just takes some ground work :-)

Good luck!