Gets Weekends Off
Mandrake
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Dec 2014
  • Position
    Grp Cpt
Quote: Sorry to see a deal that doesn't even keep up with inflation. Eight years and this is what the negotiators obtained? What usually happens is the mediator pushes the Union to put the offer up for a vote and see what the reaction is from the members. You can and will do better.

An airline Captain for a regional has a market value of over $120,000 a year right now. The companies know that but don't want to pilots to figure it out. They are throwing out a few carrots and want you to focus on the carrots so you don't see the big picture. An 11,000 bonus doesn't mean much when you are being paid $4000 a month below your market value.

Just look at bottom lines. If the junior captain's compensation does not add up to a minimum of $120k, plus good medical, plus a good 401k with a large company contribution, and reasonable rates for overtime in addition to the 120k, then it should be an easy NO!

Notice how quickly a TA came about after the union filed to stop the new hire bonus! I preached stopping that for over a year.

Each TA that comes out will force the others to move up quickly. This is not 1981 when the airlines were laying off, this is not 1991 when the airlines were closing down and nobody could get a job for almost 2 years, and this is not 2008 when the economy crashed. This is 2015 when there is big demand and low supply at the rates they offer.

The airlines want to pay the newhires 15k bonuses so they don't have to pay the other 90% market rates. The airlines have illegally colluded as to what to pay pilots and have agreed to compete with each other with their worthless carrots. Tell them you are sick of the carrots and after 20 years of watching the salaries go down you want a steak and you deserve a steak. Friday night is steak night and that is what I am going to order.

Market value minimum. My 120k figure is probably very low.
This. The recession is over folks. Go get what you're after.