Old 08-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Gomerglideslope
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009

Originally Posted by Buford View Post
FWIW our family didn't come to the Middle East just to get into a wide body. We came because it was 2005 and we were desperate. Early 2001 I'd been hired at NWA and was waiting on a class date when 9/11 happened...never made it on property. I got on with ATA end of 2003 but was soon looking at an airline headed for Ch11 only this time I had two kids under the age of 2 years old and a mortgage to pay. I applied to carriers in the US and no-one was hiring. We couldn't afford another year on first year wages, or being without health care, so we came to the only company that was offering me a job and that was Emirates. We thought it would be an adventure for 3-5 years but then 65 years came along.

It's now been 10 years and we've been ready to leave for some time now - I'm actually concerned that PRIA is an issue for me getting a job in the US as I've been away so long. If it's any consolation to the pilots who don't want us expats back - not so many of us are getting the opportunity to return. There's the odd guy or gal getting an interview, but I can count on one hand the one's getting back who weren't already furloughed from UA or AA.

Just to add, I make sure to pay my taxes each year despite the fact my kids have never attended school in the US, and I defend the US on an almost daily basis against some of the nut-jobs I'm forced to work with (the pilot group is pretty good - it's mainly the f/a's I'm talking about). At this stage I don't expect to slide back into a job but it hasn't been an easy ride, or one made willingly. I'm ready to return home. The schedules here are grueling, I have no desire to do international and I'd quite happily sit narrow body doing domestic flying for the rest of my days, but now my kids are in middle school and I just can't risk going back to a regional. Anyway, I don't know if I'll change anyone's minds about us "traitorous expats" but I wanted to share my experience so you know how some of us ended up here.

As a side note, for all of us pilots currently here, we believe the glory days of Emirates are well and truly over. They've recently dropped their minimums to ICAO ATPL and English level 4 and above - that's it. I'd say about 70% of the pilot group here are looking to leave. Not sure who they will have left to fly all these widebodies...
Thanks for posting that Buford, oh to walk a mile in another man's shoes... you sound like a good family guy not a traitor, best of luck to you and your family.