Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 12:21 PM
tlewis95
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post
Yea, I've heard some horror stories of "back in the day", and I have absolutely no doubt they were true, because there are pricks in every line of work. I can only guess that it was because they could; for every position they had a bunch of applicants. Anymore, we need pilots, and we can't afford for people to drop from training. Thats why you go to instrument school at an independent flight school before you go to indoc, we want you to succeed. The failures I've had during line training were folks who we gave almost 4 weeks of in-aircraft training to (over 50 hours of hands on flying the line/offline flights from the left seat), and they were still making mistakes that, had I not intervened, would have resulted in a crash. (i.e. Flying a flagged glide slope, spinning the wrong radial in FAF inbound etc. not some silly procedural crap like "lights on" vs "lights set") I'm a pilot, not a management cool-aid drinker, and it really sucks to wash a fellow aviator. But I can't sign someone off for a checkride when they are routinely making fatal errors. Be ready, know your stuff, study hard, and be prepared to fly the plane from the left seat with no help from me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1

The trainees I had in the BE99 that didn't make it were given 3 or 4 weeks of line training, a few offline flights and would have killed us a few times. People weren't sent home for not having textbook callouts - it was basic airmanship and instrument skills that were severely lacking and couldn't be taught well at all during line training. When the focus is how to fly X airplane the way X wants it to be flown and how to deal with the customer service aspects as well, there is no time to focus on basic IFR concepts.