Old 08-27-2015, 01:21 PM
2loud
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2009

Originally Posted by Spike from flyi View Post
Dude, again, you're missing my point. It's not that a military pilot (or any military veteran, for that matter) is not employable. It's that the longer your job description reads, simply: "Fly an aircraft from A to B.", the lower the chances you'll ever be asked to do anything else. It's just that simple! In case you haven't noticed the cycle, it's: 1) get hired at a horrible carrier starting at the bottom of the list; 2) invest yourself in making it a better place to work; 3) attain a level of seniority and begin to live a comfortable lifestyle; 4) Bankruptcy; 5) file for unemployment and give shysters like Kit Darby a small fortune you don't have; 6) return to step 1. I should add, this warning applies to civilian-only pilots as well.
May I suggest that you re-read my post? I understand what you are saying and it goes for ANY profession. The saying, "you can't teach a old xxx new tricks" is semi correct. Again, how much are you willing to work to "learn that new trick"? We are all aware of the airline seniority system and the inability to move laterally, as I have stated in my previous post.
It's simply tough to walk away from a profession that we've spent all of our adulthood in but if you hate it so much (I get it bro), why not go do something else instead of living in misery? Obviously, you speak English and reside in the mighty (still) U.S. of A. I see plenty of immigrants who barely speak English doing fine and in general, doing better than the majority in this country. These folks started all over at age 30, 40, 50, and some in their late 60s. My point is, NO ONE is really stuck unless you are a slave or have a gun pointed to your head! Life happens and when the $hit hits the fan, we can 1) roll with the punches or 2) crawl up and die.
Looks like you've had a tough road and for that, I'm truly sorry. Really, I mean it. I have several friends (all military buds) who have gone through a bankruptcy or two and their airline has chewed them up and spit 'em out. Furloughs, lost homes, broken marriages, and financial hardships......I've seen them. Fortunately, they are all back on their feet. I didn't have an easy road either but that's a whole new thread. Things all work out in the end if you keep your focus on something greater you.