View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 02:21 PM
DragonFlyer14
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Airline Pilot-Regional

Hello Spainops, first off thank you for your service.

I will answer this question the best I can however note that I am private pilot working on my instrument rating and not an airline pilot as of yet. Where you attain your licenses from will have no relevance to success in this career. Rather, dedication, networking and timing plays a more significant role. My personal suggestion would be to attain your licenses at a local FBO and with as little debt as possible. You can also focus on college at the same time in order to earn a degree.

Many people choose aviation schools such as Embry Riddle to knock both birds out with one stone however my personal suggestion would be to attain a degree in something other than aviation/piloting due to the instability and turbulence in this industry. Therefore, should you ever get laid off or lose your medical, you have something other than a pilot degree to fall back on. Hopefully your GI bill will make these options more affordable.

Whether one attends an aviation university or local state college is really up to them. You should ask yourself what is the most affordable and efficient way to earn your licenses and earn a degree in a field besides flying that interests you. Also stick around the airport/pilot hangouts/forums to network. Good luck with which ever route you choose!