View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 04:56 PM
krudawg
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: 747 Captain, retired

Originally Posted by Spainops View Post
Hey guys,

I want to be a pilot, and am currently making my way through lower level college. I've read through the website that details what the airline industry is really like, and I want to work through it. I'm single, 26, and an Army veteran. I have about 24 months left on my GI bill (was making my way to engineering, but I would much rather fly), and am currently living in Houston.

My real question is how much it matters where I get my pilot's license or degree. Do I see any real advantage in dealing with the price tag of Embry-Riddle versus a smaller level college, such as LeTourneau? Or getting my pilot's license at a flight school and transferring into a college for the Aeronautical Sciences or Aeronautics degrees?

And if anyone has any information on other veteran programs such as Hazlewood or Yellow Ribbon program, I would greatly appreciate it.

Just sort of overwhelmed with all the different options and curious as to what my best bets are.
In my opinion, it does not matter where you get your flight training and how you build enough time to get you to the regionals. I'd also skimp on the degreee and go for the easiest degree you can get. It doesn't matter what your degree is in as long as you have one. But of course, if you don't make it to the airlines, then you might have to fall back on your degree to earn a living.
I see you are an Army Vet. Thanks for your service. I joined the Marines right out of high school, did a tour in Vietnam and was 20yrs old when I got discharged. I just kept plugging away and eventually got hired by a Major and will soon be retiring. It's been a great job. Remember this - it's not the best pilots who make it to the Majors; it's the LUCKY ONES. Best of luck