Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 01:08 PM
frmrbuffdrvr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by piloco View Post
my source is just from asking regional captains that recently went to classes at Delta, United, and American "where have the new hires come from" and they said at their classes about 90-95% are from regionals or other scheduled passenger airlines Or LARGE cargo carriers like ups and FedEx. those who aren't any of this are from military usually. For sure I haven't heard one tell me that they ran into ameriflight pilots that were direct hires and from my time at amf I also don't know a single one (personally) to have in recent years (last 10) made it to anywhere (major airline based) other than alligent. You hear people at amf say "well there was this one guy" but when asked for detail, no one seems to know who that "one guy" was.
so my source is asking pilots that I personally know to have been recently hired at legacy carriers and also pilots I know from amf and where they are now. a majority jump ship to a regional. Also once at a jump seat on delta I saw a newspaper of theirs saying were their most recent new hires came from and it pretty much listed all regionals, military and things like frontier, spirit, virgin America, ups, FedEx. the portion that said "other"' was only at 3% I believe.. don't 100% remember but it was really low.
I can give you two reasons why that is.

First, AMF is such a small part of the pool of pilots compared to the regionals that looking at it from the airline side they are bound to be a small number.

Second, the perception that we are discussing is CAUSING so many guys that start at AMF to leave quickly to go to the regionals to get the 121 time that they never get to the flight time level to be competitive at the majors like they did over 10 years ago.

And I do personally know of about a dozen who went to large airlines direct from AMF. But, as you say, that was back a little over 10 years ago when the hiring first started back up post 9/11. And guys were leaving AMF at 4-5000 hours total time.