View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 09:41 PM
flynavyj
Gets EVERY weekend off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: SIC

Many things evolve over time OP -

No girlfriend now, but you'll have one eventually.

Not strong at math w/o a calculator, you can work on the requisite skills.

Enjoy being around airports, but there will come a time when you loathe being around airports.

- End result - It's hard to say if this is the what you want in life, truth be told it's hard to tell if it isn't. No one is going to know that better than you. What you should do, is think about what it is you'd like to do, there's no requirement for you to go to college for job A, and work job A for 30 years, then retire.

I worked as an aircraft mechanic for 3 years (loved it), worked as an instructor pilot for 1 year (liked it), worked as an airline pilot for 3 years (loved/hated it), worked as a federal worker for 6 years (endured it/succeeded at it), am getting back into aviation for the first time in six years. Love the learning, love the SIM time, am ok with the time away from home...love getting back into the lifestyle of an pilot...odd that I have to "get back into it", it's different...and this is the first time in a half decade that I don't think of myself in terms of an analyst or supervisor...You have plenty of time to decide if this is what you want, if you want to work on a sport pilot or private pilot certificate go for it...it won't hurt you down the line, and you can decide if you really love aviation.