View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 12:58 PM
marz7490
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015
Position: Commercial Pilot
Default Finishing up my PPL, next step?

APC,

I've read a number of threads and have done hours of research comparing costs, etc. but I still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for!

Background: Just turned 25, no degree, PPL checkride is in 3 weeks, I have been working since high school which thankfully has allowed me to save and afford this training. That being said, I am being pretty cautious about my next step.

I realize most of these training programs and 141 R-ATP agreements are pretty new so I doubt I'll find the exact scenario I am in but I am interested in hearing from the guys that have gone through the interview process in a similar situation.

Options:
1. Go back to college full-time at WMU, Purdue, etc.
This option is pretty attractive to me since it looks like my total investment would be in the neighborhood of $90,000 and I would leave with my necessary ratings and a degree. I'd also be eligible for the R-ATP which seems like the most beneficial part. A 500 hour reduction is quite a bit!

2. Continue training locally, get an online aviation degree or no degree.
Definitely the most cost effective option since local training is pretty cheap, I think I can knock my Instrument and commercial ratings through 141 for as low as $25k-$30k. Supporting that, UVU's online aviation degree could be had for about $27,000 so all in all, a degree and training for under $60k isn't bad. Biggest downfall here is I wouldn't be eligible for the R-ATP.

3. Train 141 with Liberty University's online program and a somewhat local training center. Not a bad option but seems to be priced about the same as the WMU option so there isn't much of a benefit to going this route.

4. ATP or other Career oriented training programs. Doesn't seem like I would be saving much so not sure this is the answer.

All in all, that's really where I currently stand with the decision I need to make next. I think most of my concern comes with the idea of how necessary a degree will be in the future. The R-ATP side of things definitely makes it all more attractive but I can't decide!

I'm not too worried about finding a job outside of being a pilot as I've had a pretty good career for a 25 year old without a degree. I've just decided it was time to chase a dream before it was too late!

I realize I'm still very early on so I'm trying not to stress about this too much but I do want to plan the best I can!

As always, I greatly appreciate any and all input!

Best,
Mike