View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 03:30 PM
FDXBUSCAPT
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Airbus Capt (duh)

I think this LOA has some good things in it. The tax equalization is a good thing. It would be impossible to bid any of these FDAs without it. The initial 30-day hotel allowance is also a good thing. I think adding the RLA language in this LOA would certainly be desirable to further strengthen our case that foreign-based
pilots are covered by the RLA. I just don’t think we should ignore the rest of the package just to get
these benefits.
I fully understand that FedEx has the ability to open these FDAs without this LOA. But ask yourself, if
they could have done that why did they come to us for this LOA? I just think there are some benefits
for the company in this LOA. In my opinion, these are just a few of them:
  • The company wants you to take the enhanced option because even though it has some cash in
    it, it is probably cheaper for them than to move all your household goods and a car to the new
    FDAs, plus they don’t have to give you all the other benefits in the current FDA relocation
    package.
  • <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-RIGHT: -0.5in">The STV section of this LOA is management’s idea. A big gain for them.
  • The company is also seeking protection from foreign labor laws, especially the French labor laws.
    That is why all of the sudden they have become a big proponent of the enhanced RLA language
    that we see in the CDG/HKG Agreement that you will have to sign before going to CDG or HKG if
    this LOA passes.
In closing, I can tell you that as a SFS-based pilot with family ties in Asia, I would dearly love to be
able to stay in Asia. I just think that with what the company is offering this is not tenable. Remember
that a lot of our future growth will be in the international arena and, if this is the best we can do, I am
afraid we have a long road ahead of us. Our goal should be to negotiate an LOA that would provide a
benefit for 4,800 pilots. I honestly believe that we ended up well short of that goal because this LOA
clearly is not a viable option for most pilots, especially if you have a family. In my opinion, the housing allowance, school tuition assistance and transportation issues are not adequately addressed. In the
end, I fail to see why the line pilots have to settle for an expat package that is so marginal when the
other FedEx employees in HKG and CDG, including the Chief Pilots, get a decent expat package. Expat packages are not “perks”; they are the cost of doing business. The company agrees with this concept,
except when it is for the line pilots. See you in MEM.
Fraternally,

Captain Edgar Irizarry
Chairman LEC 99