Thread: Just Venting
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Deez340
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 757/767

Originally Posted by BeaglePilot View Post
I have spent alot of time sitting on taxiways in kennedy, with the door closed thank you very much! The APU is a MEL'able item and not very strong arguement for refusing airplane, regardless of how hot it is outside. There is a more diplomatic solution to the problem. You accept the airplane ask for extra gas (since you will have to run a motor the entire time) and you go out and taxi. If you just so happen to go below min T/O becuase your delay was too long.... OH WELL!!!!! You will then return to the gate, hopefully sometime the same day

Beagle
"The APU is a MEL'able item and not very strong arguement for refusing airplane, regardless of how hot it is outside."[/quote]

That's precisely my point a real PIC knows that there is no argument. What he says goes or he doesn't. Some of this is type specific. Some aircraft have full duct pressure on one engine at idle. The one's that don't usually require a strong captain to protect his passengers from a sweaty and sometimes dangerous hell. I don't give a rat's a** what the mel says. If an elderly person has an episode on your airplane due to the heat, your judgment will be seriously called into question by the FAA, your company (yes the same company that would have tried to make you take the A/C had you tried to refuse it), and the plaintiff's attorney. Before you upgrade grow a pair and learn to use them.