View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 11:28 PM
1Seat 1Engine
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 737 Right

Originally Posted by flyboy4165 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I posted my gpa and sats to see if anyone thought that would be competitive or not. I had contact the detachment commander about 2 years ago, but life and other commitments had gotten in the way (or rather, I allowed them to get in the way).

I've heard that slots for fighter jets are extremely competitive. Does the same hold true for tankers/cargo? For me, it'd be a dream to fly a KC-10 or -135.
Your GPA and test scores are very competitive. You didn't mention your major, which is also important. The USAF prefers "technical" degrees but non-tech's aren't a no-go (my major was Accounting).

Your next hurdles will be the AFOQT (AF officer's qualifying test) and the Physical. You'll probably need two years from entry into ROTC until graduation/commisioning but the ROTC guys will tell you what the current programs are.

Go talk to the Commandant of Cadets or whatever officer they let you see at the ROTC detachment. You'll usually get a straight word from them. A pilot would probably have better gouge than a non-pilot.

If you talk to a recruiter and he doesn't tell you what you like, go talk to a different recruiter. They're notorius liars and want YOU to solve THEIR problems, not the other way around.

Slots for fighter's are extremely competetive but that competition doesn't even start until pilot training. I think tanker spots are easier to get (Please don't flame me tanker dudes). On day-one of UPT, all Lt's are equal, no matter what your GPA, major, School, or SAT scores.

You'll get varying opinions about being in the active duty. I loved it but realize it has it's own unique challenges. It's not for everybody. If you think you can be sent to the armpit of the world and still enjoy it because you're working with great people, serving your country, and doing/seeing things that very few people ever do/see, then you might like it. If you're married and your wife doesn't share your sense of adventure, start putting your name on your CD's now.