View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 06:23 PM
Sink r8
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Default Notes From C66 Recall Meeting

Maybe 100-200 people in attendance.

Both sides had people coordinating proxies.

The venue was perfect. For a murder. Expensive, yet strangely loud. No microphone or speakers. The back half of the room couldn’t hear. Registration was behind even those unfortunate souls, so registering meant you were out for 30+ minutes. Everyone registered, of course. I was only in line about 30 minutes before the meeting start time, so no opening remarks for me.

I think the people that were actually in line about 45 minutes before the meeting were close enough to hear AND had the opportunity to attend the entire meeting. Everyone else was SOL.

A few guys got to make heartfelt statements on both sides.

I eventually got close enough to hear Marino speak. Two guys actually conducted themselves with dignity, and showed leadership: Hazleton and Marino. Hazleton tried to mediate between the Chairman and Marino, and tried to help turn the zoo into an orderly process. The Chairman tried several ways to get to a vote in a hurry, and begged for a resolution to close debate. He got one, but it couldn’t get 2/3 majority, so we wasted debate time debating closing the debate. Yes: really.

There was a counter-resolution by a former F/O rep to essentially nullify the initial resolution, and say Marino is a swell guy.

Neither resolution helped advancing matters. There was some embarrassing master-debating on Robert’s rules of order, which was futile and mildly sickening. This was a shame, because the only thing that was done right about the process and venue was the food. It was very tasty.

A few more guys got to make heartfelt statements, which were exciting enough for the rows that could hear. If the back of the room wanted to be involved, they should have been first in line, so screw them. So, the thing just sort of petered out, as we focused on hors-d'oeuvres.

I saw two guys from the CPO, and they said nothing as far as I could tell beyond “hello” and “how are you?”. They didn’t look any more or less embarrassed by the whole process than the rest of us.

I think the vote came out:
150-124 in favor of holding an electronic recall vote and
-$3,000 to $4,000 against C66 funds to create a perfect replica of a Chinese courthouse, their justice system, and respect for due process. On the other hand, they had some very tasty spring rolls, with that sweet-and-sour red sauce. De-li-cious!