View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Oldfreightdawg
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: B-737

Originally Posted by Huggy Bear View Post
After you are hired by SWA, or I suppose any airline for that matter, can they let you go without recourse to them? Specifically, say I am hired by SWA in August and I have to wait for a February class. Can January come around and they say, sorry, we hired to many and we are really scaling back...

I just read about the 300 plus pool, the early buyouts, the scaling back on growth, etc.

5 months would be a lot of missed applications and interviews.
Every airline is different, sometimes you have recall rights the moment you arrive for class, others when you complete your IOE, and still others after you complete probation.

We had a little over a hundred guys in class on 9-11-2001, by 9-12-2001 they were on the street, with no recall rights. Although in the aftermath they were issued recall rights. I'm sure they are long gone by now. It's a tough position to be in. Anything can happen in this business and with alarming suddenness. Try to keep your options open until you're issued a company ID. SWA is a great company, if that's where you are heading you should be OK.