View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 06:26 AM
champ42272
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: B-767 Captain

The "B Fund" as part of the overall retirement package in the airline industry was instituted due to the fact that Part 121 pilots were required by law to retire at age 60. Since the "normal" retirement age has gradually risen over the years to age 65, pilots were at a disadvantage during their most lucrative earning years.

So the "B Plan" was designed to make up those dollars lost during that 5 year period. It was also categorized as a defined contribution plan.

Obviously, FedEx would like to transition to an all Defined Contribution retirement system (although they can't do it via bankruptcy like the Legacy carriers did).

So the question remains, how and when does this transition occur through negotiations? I maintain that it's the MEC's responsibility to educate the crew force about the various options that either could or should hapoen in the future. This is a very difficult task, I know, because not everyone's going to agree, but ultimately, the crew force needs to understand the options and the consequences of this change in the retirement system. Sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the elephant in the room is not the right way to go.

This change, or transition if you will, to a new retirement system is probably going to be the most divisive issue we as a crew force have ever faced, but we can't make a smart decision unless we get ourselves educated on all variables and how those changes will affect each one of us. The MEC MUST lead us in this direction, otherwise the company will use this issue to divide and conquer
us like they have on this TA.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but we better start talking about this like adults, and soon, to make ensure the economic health of our families in the future, no matter when you got hired, and no matter what age you are,

IMHO, I could be wrong.

Champ42272

Last edited by champ42272; 09-19-2015 at 06:47 AM.