View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 03:55 AM
John Pennekamp
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: Captain, CRJ-200, ASA

Originally Posted by bifff15 View Post
JP,
UAL didn't make it difficult for those with a paper logbook, they made the hours portion what they wanted. Remember THEY are the ones doing the hiring.
If you want a shot at an interview you will gonk through your logbooks.
UAL interviews previously have been onerous with them attempting to antagonize you into giving them a reason not to hire you. There was one particular individual (gender not identified but old UAL guys will know of whom I speak) who had it in against military guys and quite a few of my buds who are outstanding pilots and people didn't get hired. I listened to what questions they were asked, and how they were asked and was absolutely stunned.
Don't focus on what's tough (re-doing your logbooks into what UAL / company X wants) but do focus on what you are going to be asked and how you are going to answer it as that is what really gets you hired.
Biff
Well I think that's pretty much what I was saying. I don't think they're discriminating against those of us with paper logbooks, and in fact, pointed out that United hired this way last time too.

The point you missed is WHY does United feel they need to make the hours portion so onerous. All I can figure is that they are using it as a weed out technique.

I have many friends over there, and several of them were actually on the hiring board last time. They will flat out tell you that UAL is big on weeding people out, because "you have 10,000 applicants with very similar qualifications, you need something to set them apart". I've heard many stories of antagonistic interviews that began with "if you're here, you already have the job. Try not to talk your way out of it".

As for your squadron buddies who got shot down, I'm sure they went to delta and did just fine. Where they should have gone anyhow. The culture over there is much more military friendly that United.