View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Mjm8710
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015

As many have said, I also feel it's a love, hate relationship.

Pros:
•Fly planes-enjoying your passion
•**Occasionally** go on fun overnights
•non rev benefits
•not having to deal with a boss
•no work outside of work
•always working with new ppl
•11-15 days off a month
•generally low stress (opinion)

Cons:
•thankless job
•low starting pay
•low employee moral
•commuting
•Schuledule only known mo in advance
•bid vacations
•media hates aviation
•uncertain financial future
•uncertain career progression

There are a lot more than I can list but those are the top things for me. I keep doing this job day after day because I don't really have any other skill sets, plus I know I would be absolutely miserable behind a desk...granted I don't have a family, and am finally off first year pay. There are times I tell myself, this is the best job in the world and I feel very lucky, and at other times I feel like I'm crazy for sticking to a job that may wreck my future, and can't believe how bad we are treated at times between management and even the passengers. It's really a tough call for me. I love the fact that I dont have to really deal with work outside of work, and don't have to deal with the same people everyday especially a boss. Also realize if I got a job doing something else I would most likely be working 9-5 (or worse) at least 5-6 days a week which would suck compared to having all the days off.

Personally, I would give it a shot and go from there. There should be movement in the next few years so it's not a horrible time to get in...whatever you do, just don't commute or you will 100% hate your life that's a promise...it becomes a totally different job