Old 09-25-2015, 05:20 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by BBurke View Post

Here's the actual question: Would this be disqualifying to a regional airline such as Republic, Compass, SkyWest, ExpressJet, etc? This could obviously be an employer-specific question but a friend recommended I try this forum as well. Thanks for any and all help.
In the past airlines have specified a medical with no restrictions other than corrective lenses.

Regionals seem to have eased up on that, probably due to the pilot shortage, they may want to at least see what your medical says before they make a decision.

The light gun limitation would have essentially no relevance to real-world ops but airline pilots are expected to be able to do it.

I suspect an airline (or at least some of them) would accept the (very low) liability risk, but they would also need to satisfy their FAA CMO. That might involve a limitation of not flying with another pilot with a similar restriction?

Majors would be more likely than regionals to not accept such a restriction...I suspect most of them would not.

Better pass the test. If you don't, then you'd need to contact individual airlines about their policy. Consider carefully at that point...if nobody will hire you but the worst bottom-feeders, planning a career airlines might not be a good idea.

91/135 might offer a path of less resistance than 121.