View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 05:28 AM
full of luv
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Narrow/Left Wide/Right

Originally Posted by Macjet View Post
As a former military member I wouldn't be too quick to compare a new training program to the 'military' standard. Rucker and the AF C-130 program consistently produce the worst pilots that I've ever had the privilege of sharing the flight deck with. I hold Alaskan bush Beach 1900 pilots in higher regard than a lot of our military trained pilots. I can however see the merits of training guys/gals in an Airbus from day one as more beneficial than time building in a Cessna 210. The key will be keeping these eager beavers from driving down hard earned pay and benefits gains. Otherwise we become a bunch of SJS regional pilots driving Airbus/Boeing equipment.
Maybe they mean by the "military standard" is that they will be unafraid to attrite people from the program.
The main thing that helps the military build low time pilots to send around the world is the fact that since they are not a business, they can freely waste resources, and often do.
They have improved the attrition of late by better screening and pre-flight trying flying aptitude lessons, but just 20 years ago the military would freely attrite student pilots throughout the training pipeline and unless you were in a protected class, you were done.
Most businesses would be incapable and unwilling to adopt that type of program.