View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 07:02 AM
Spike from flyi
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: B777; Left Seat.
Default Guard - Reserve Code of Conduct

This week I learned about the efforts of A4A (Airlines for America, formerly Airline Transport Association [ATA]). They are now pushing for DoD to impose a "Guard & Reserve Code of Conduct" for their members to abrogate some of the protections afforded them by USERRA. They want the leadership to publish guidelines that suggest that certain practices that the airlines find irksome are unethical.

Despite their claim that they are all about safety, make no mistake, A4A is an industry lobby designed to maximize member airlines profit at the expense of your compensation, quality of life and safety. They are asking for things like giving your employer an entire year's worth of training schedule at a time, even though they are highly flexible and subject to change. You would loose big chunks of flying if your unit changed it's drill weekend.

I highly recommend that any of you who have Guard or Reserve affiliation, join and be active in your associations (ROA, NGAUS, State Association). Guard and Reserve members face enough hardship without interest groups bribing DoD leadership to whip their workers for them.

If you are at an ALPA carrier or Southwest, I suggest that you encourage your union leadership to join in efforts with the Coalition of Airline Pilot Associations (CAPA - Home | Coalition of Airline Pilots Associations).