Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 06:45 PM
own nav
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post
I can't think of a set of priorities that this place would satisfy long term. You value family and QOL? Good luck here! In station? Work 12-14 hour days, and a half day (7-8 hours) on Saturday. Outstation? Enjoy 5 nights a week alone in a ***tty crash pad or a hotel away from your spouse and kids. You want financial security? You top out under $80K here. Oh, and no Union either.

I look at people who have been here over 5 years and wonder what is wrong with them. Do they have DUIs, violations, felonies? Are they so weird nobody else will hire them? Do they have no professional aspirations?

You get hired here and that's it. It never gets any better. The most senior pilot on the list got his vacation cancelled this summer, over 20 years here and they couldn't TDY a guy to cover his run so he could go on vacation with his family. You know what the senior pilots get that the new hire doesn't? Not a damn thing. Same crappy runs, same difficulty in getting management to address their concerns, etc. At least a regional gets better with time.

This is a good place to come to if you want quick TPIC and multi time. Do your time and LEAVE. A good (debatable) job will keep you from getting a great if you aren't careful.

This would be a wretched place to spend 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You speak in the heat of the moment, and apply it to 30 years. You really think this pilot shortage is going to last that long? I don't think so.