View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 08:24 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Don't follow your passion.

Originally Posted by Stets656 View Post
So he is saying that if one person pursues a career in aviation that isn't really passionate about it, will eventually over time build a passion for it? I can see that being true
If you are referring to Mike Rowe his position is to not follow a passion at all but rather to find the opportunities that currently lie at your feet and pursue them with passion to succeed.

A friend of mine was set to take over his fathers electrician business. He chose instead to follow his passion to become a geologist. As a result his father gave the business to another child. Many decades later my friend wishes that he had taken the opportunity that was right in front of him over following his passion. As a wealthy business owner he would have been able to avidly pursue his geology passion with the financial resources that came with his fathers business instead of working an entry level job past 50 years of age.

Following ones passion is a fairly recent concept in the western world. If you are able to find Mike Rowe's article he explains how it came about. When grandpa says "love what you do and you will never work a day in your life" it is not a license to go crazy. It means to develop passion for what you do (Even if it is pulling wire for a living.) and you will never work a day in your life.

Life is very competitive. To seek success in an arena where you do not have some advantages going in is taking the long road to say the least. If your dad is the chief pilot of a legacy airline then by all means pursue that. However if you have to finance college plus flight training and then get in line at a regional to become one of a thousand anonymous faces all competing for a shot at a decent job with a legacy airline then there are easier ways to earn a living. Following ones passion is a good recipe to ruining ones best chances in life.

Skyhigh