View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 02:33 PM
Old UCAL CA
(retired)

Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: Old, retired, healthy, debt-free, liquid

Originally Posted by DashTrash View Post
What is going on? We have a series of Tentative Agreements from Delta, FedEx, and Southwest that are largely concessionary in an environment that is conducive to large gains by each associated pilot group. I'm concerned about the union leadership (or lack thereof). No one seems to want to move the ball forward. I can't believe that these agreements have actually reached the pilot groups. It's mystifying!!! I hope that our MEC doesn't lay down like the union leadership from the airlines listed above.
Allow me...I'll be very quick.

The industry with the final three "legacies" and Southwest, is consolidated and fiercely competitive. No surviving management group at any surviving company is going to bless a deal that would put them at a competitive disadvantage with their industry peer companies. With an approximate +20% domestic market share at each of the four survivors, it minimizes the leverage obtainable from the NMB in a Sec 6 negotiation...too much potential for too much disruption. The MEC's likely did the best they could under consolidated circumstances.

There are a number of other issues related to your observation, but that's enough (no one reads this stuff anyways).

I truly wish you the best in Sec 6.