View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 12:21 PM
marz7490
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015
Position: Commercial Pilot

Originally Posted by GearOperator View Post
You will need to figure out what is more important to you? do you want a four year degree? do you want to get your ratings fast? do you want to save money? etc.
In my honest opinion I don't think getting an aviation degree is worth it. It makes no sense to me on why one would require a 4 year degree to fly airplanes. Obtaining a "Professional Aeronutics" or "Aviation Science" degree is not worth it. If you really want to get a 4 year degree, I suggest you get it in something that you can fall back on or use while you fly professionally. I say this because if you plan on coming to the airlines, you will eventually have to start at a regional, and the pay is crap. I know this because I work for a regional. I work a second job to make ends meet. Until you are a captain or working at a low cost carrier or a legacy will you see the big bucks, until then you will be scraping the bottom of the barrel.
As far as your ratings are concerned, I'd say go to a local FBO and obtain all your ratings while you attend a 4year college to be cost efficient. If you are really intent in getting into the airlines, then definitely look into schools like Aerosim Flight Academy. They are a 141 program aligned to get you into a regional quick. They are also partnered with 4 year universities to help you get a degree while you attend. After you graduate as a student with all your ratings, the hire you to instruct at the school itself. You can still finish your 4 year degree, get flight time and get paid. They also have airline pipeline agreements, where you will interview with a regional. After successfully interviewing, they will hire you and give u a seniority number and all the benefits of that airline until u meet their minimums. Once u meet the minimums they require, they take u strait into the jet.
I myself attended this school. I had zero time and was hired as a flight instructor, and from there I got picked up by a regional. For me it was about a 3year process however, times have changed and the regionals are dying to hire people like you and offering $10,000 plus hiring bonuses.

I hope this helps.
Thanks a ton for the response, read it a few days back but haven't had a chance to reply! How was your overall experience with Aerosim? I've thought about going a similar route but if I can get my licenses locally for a lot less I might just go that route and go after an instructor job at one of the bigger 141 schools, Aerosim, ATP, Transpac, etc.

We'll see! I'll be sure to post and share my experience regardless of whatever route I decide to take.

Originally Posted by essayons View Post
On-line. Live and work where you are. Can you afford to move across the country and find time to sit in class every Tues morning 9-12 while working?

I finished at UVU while working full time. I already had all ratings. Good luck.
Cheers! Still contemplating the online degree idea, I'll definitely be deciding soon.

Originally Posted by spikemath View Post
If you believe that R-ATP makes a school more attractive you haven't done a good job at comparing options.

141 University School - you will be eligible for the restricted, but it will take nearly three years to become a flight instructor at about 250 hours. The average instructor flies about 60 hours per month depending on the school, sometimes well above that. Looking at 60 per month to build 750 is almost a year of instructing. Time to the regionals this route will be about four years from today. Not to mention the extremely high price tag.

If you dedicate yourself at a small flight school you can obtain cfi in about a year, spending only about 30-40k. It will take about a year and a half to two years to get the additional 1250 hours. Time to the regionals this route is three years from today, plus you have saved a lot of money. You can still do UVUs online program on the side, and get it done when you have time.
Thanks for the response! What I meant by the R-ATP schools looking attractive is it seems a lot easier to finance school and flight training through a program at a university. The time is definitely the downfall since like you said, I should be able to work through commercial and CFI within the next year by training locally.

I like this route a great deal mainly because I can continue training with my current instructor, keep up my income for the time being, and it will be much cheaper.

Thanks again for everyones input, it definitely helps my decision making!