View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 08:14 PM
ShopTalk
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2015

An oversimplification in many regards. The dynamics of Fedex pilot scheduling and the total contractual pay rules are extremely complex. The simple fact is that the gross erosion of FDX work rules under the "Optimizer" over the last 10+ years (which in my personal opinion rises well above the level of deliberate physical and mental abuse of pilot employees), is now filling body bags with Fedex pilots on a regular basis. Ask Fedex how many of it's pilots went to bed in a hotel and never woke up in recent years, or about the many pilot suicides. Many years ago I chose Fedex over the option to go to Delta. I would not make that same career decision today for scheduling related health reasons, and I never recommend a career at Fedex to any pilot anymore, although virtually none at 2nd line carriers ever express an interest anymore anyway.
Example: Think about being sent to work on Tuesday at 2am for a 6 or 7 hour shift, then again at 7pm that same night for a 6 hour shift, and then again the very next afternoon on Wednesday at 2pm for a 6 hour shift. That's reporting for GRAVEYARD shift, NIGHT shift, and DAY shift, in a 36 hour period and maybe only making about 9 hours pay for 3 different work duty periods while destroying your health. This happens FREQUENTLY in Secondary and other Lines. What other employer does that to their employees and gets away with it?