View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 02:11 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
I don't know guys - I think he was simply referring to the times we're in the "corner" of the envelope, typically at high altitude cruise. Personally, I like having accurately derived flight envelope information on my instruments rather than going into paper charts like we used to have to do.

You've never had to climb a few thousand feet above optimum or get close to max when you're still a little too heavy so you can get the altitude you need for a crossing? Not that we're talking test pilot stuff or life and death - I just know there have been a few times that I've been stuck with maybe a 20 knot spread between stall and MMO.

I don't have a lot of light airplane time, but I don't remember that same thing being an issue.
Thanks, Adler, you are absolutely correct. You have a very good understanding on how close to Q corner a transport airliner can go (and routinely does go), and don't just let the computer do the work for you.

I honestly can't believe some of the other responses. Sadly comical in ignorance and arrogance.