View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 03:54 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by Flightcap View Post
For the record, my school is based at one of the top 5 busiest airports in Ohio. I've seen plenty of unprofessional bizjet pilots and also plenty of professional GA pilots. Having flown a particular type of aircraft shouldn't be a pre-requisite for having a discussion about aerodynamics.

On AoA, my university and the FAA recently conducted a study using flight path data to compare the performance of GA pilots during takeoff, landing, and stalls with or without an AoA. The data is still being compiled. I didn't participate, but from the pilots who did I haven't heard any "man, I miss that AoA in my regular flying" kind of talk.
A few of the usual suspects feel threatened, just ignore them. I wonder how they ever got through school with the fancy-talkin' professor of aerodynamics tryin' to teach stuff that probably never flown but 2,000 hours in his life, but I think I know the answer.

Interesting, I read about a study ongoing with the UND flight school, is it the same FAA study?

I predict you will be right. At low G loads and in nonaccelerated flight, we already have a perfectly accurate AOA gauge , and I can't imagine that holding the speeds vs AOA would make a big delta for any of the standard maneuvers.