View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 08:53 AM
RhinoPherret
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012

You know why I feel AoA indicators are a good adjunct item to have in GA aircraft, if for no other reason? Because statistics, flight school instructor staff, and my own humble observations through the years continue to show that on average, GA pilots and GA students are lousy at airspeed control! That destroys the very valid concept that good airspeed control improves performance safety. This is not a shocking new development that many GA pilots are not good at airspeed control, especially on final appraoch. It really does not matter if you are flying low speeds in a piston aircraft because if you cannot maintain proper airspeed, an AoA is really even more important as an adjutant instrument to the pilot who cannot maintain proper airspeed control. Thinking that one cannot make use of an AoA gauge due to one’s superior pilot skill sets and “feel” for the aircraft is very foolish thinking. Doubt that? Just review GA accident investigations and notice the consistent theme of lack of basic airmanship skills, lack of situational awareness, arrogance, and yes downright foolishness that contributes to the majority of GA accidents.

Yes the AoA gauge requires some extra learning for a pilot to know how to react to the gauge’s indications. I guess that may be an extra burden to some (most?) of the GA pilots that the statistics demonstrate on average, manage to log only about 25 hours per year! A lot of GA pilots feel they have very good skill sets and know the “feel” of their aircraft very well. As I noted previously, the majority of GA aircraft accident investigations consistently invalidate that very dangerous notion.