View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 07:43 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by FDXLAG View Post
[MOD EDIT] Here is my argument:

AOA is a useful tool for all pilots as it gives instanteous feedback on how the wing is performing (in some cases even a damaged wing), when a stall is broken, how to recover with minimum energy loss, best glide speed, and when your aircraft might not be configured like you think it is.

Your argument is: I dont like broccoli and you cant make me eat it.

Now if you don't think you need AOA it is fine. If you don't think you need a pitot probe fine. It does not make my argument less valid.

As far as stalls and AOA, I will not explain the relationship to you if you can not see it.
No, my argument is more "I don't need cod liver oil because it is not needed." Gradually moms across the country also realized that cod liver oil can be good for some people, but don't have to shove it down the throats of otherwise healthy individuals. Do you force your kids to take cod liver oil?

Again for somebody that does not fly GA, you seem to sure know what is best for GA. It is a different type of flying from two person crewed operations in a high performance turbine. Air is thick down here, speeds are slower, and wings have a lot of lift. The pilot gets direct control feedback (try that in an Airbus ) How is a GA pilot going to benefit from knowing "exactly when a stall is broken" if he can't feel it on his own?

An additional gauge is simply not needed and would not add safety beyond the emergency warning AOA gauge, already installed in most systems.