View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 09:17 PM
busdriver12
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by TheBaron Deux View Post
WOW! Health insurance costing us 200% of what it costs us now. How can I ever hope to pay that when I'm only getting a 10% raise? That's 20 times bigger than my raise! Will I have to write the company a check each month?
Oh...I see what you did. Used those scary percentages. Kind of like when a company brags about their business revenue increasing 1000% from the previous year (and not sharing that they earned $10 this year vs. $1 last year.) Nobody wants to pay more for insurance, but everybody does. I think I'll be able to afford the extra $270 a month with my extra $26K+ a year. Now it doesn't look so scary.
I agree about the using percentages, that doesn't really mean much to me. However, your extra $270 per month ends up turning into $3,240 per year, add some extra things you have to pay for in your plan, the fact that it goes up every year, and the unknown as far as the Cadillac tax. Are you really happy about paying for the health care increases with your raise? I guess it's not so much of a raise as you expected, particularly since your raise is taxed, and you pay medicare and union dues on it.

For example, my 30K/yr raise ends up becoming about $16,410 after the government and the union takes their cut. Subtract that $3,240, and well, that's about one fifth of my raise. Not much of a raise after all.