View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 05:10 AM
Flybywyr
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post
Retirement is the area I think is most disappointing in this deal. No improvement to the A plans means lessening of value of my future compensation. My “magic number” I wanted was a 300k cap, or a (before deduction) $150 vice 130k retirement salary. That’s 20k a year, or $1600 a month or so, before taxes, about 15 years from now. At strait pay, a 35 hour trip (typical FDA pairing) will pay $10,000-$11,500. So, if once a year, I get bumped from a trip, or pick up an extra trip, or get drafted for a 5 day pairing I can throw that money in my own investment account to offset the loss. Would I rather have FedEx just pay me more in retirement? Yes. But making 300k or so as a widebody captain or over 200 as a widebody FO gives our pilots a chance to make some pretty good money here and now, and then invest for their future as they see fit.

I have a good friend that is out on LTD and won't ever return, the A plan accrual is a major plus for him. Going out on medical is something nobody wants to think about.

I am in that seniority group that will get absolutely hammered by the company esentially freezing our retirement. There is no way to make up the loss of buying power of the A plan freeze with the B plan increase in the time I have left. I can't believe that this issue alone isn't enough to vote this T/A down. And according to Albie I should fund my own retirement with my COLA raise, is that really a solution ? Really ???? It's not an option for my friend out on LTD.

Last edited by Flybywyr; 10-13-2015 at 05:35 AM.