View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 03:56 PM
2StgTurbine
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
The original poster indicated that an engine-out cleanup or level off altitude that's different from the all-engine(s) level-off altitude is unsafe. One might gather that the original poster is assigned to his first turbojet aircraft and that he may not be familiar with the necessity of understanding and briefing the expected all-engine departure, as well as the engine-out departure procedure. Often the two are not the same.
Sorry, but this is no where close to my first jet aircraft. This is my first time working for a company that does not have a dedicated training department however.

I understand the certification requirements and I do not have a question about those. My issue is my company uses a third party performance calculator that allows us to depart runways at a much heavier weight than the aircraft manufacturer performance charts. Do do that, it specifies a level off altitude (acceleration/flap retraction altitude) for every runway. This altitude is usually 1,000-2,000 ft AGL. My company's normal procedures are to retract the flaps at 400 ft AGL. My issue is what happens if the engine fails at 401 ft AGL yet my engine failure path is assuming I will continue the second segment climb to 1,200 ft AGL. At previous employers always adjusted our normal flap retraction altitude to match our engine out flap retraction altitude. Right now if we lost an engine at 401 ft AGL out of Aspen, I would not feel very comfortable trying to fly the engine out procedure for that runway knowing it counted on me having 15 degrees of flaps for another 2,200 feet.

And in the future, it would be nice if you dropped your condescending tone. You often have good things to add to the conversation, but the way you say it often makes you sound like an arrogant jerk.