Old 10-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Sparta
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Left Seat

Originally Posted by duvie View Post
It seems that the same pilots who beat their chest for C2000 or better are the same ones that (privately) vote for concessions when the company can't manage a downturn in the economy. Contract 2000 doesn't seem like a viable long term solution. I'd rather lock in a good contract that we can keep through the next downturn.

No more suicides, divorce stories, etc. Lock in work rules that we vow to never give up. If the banks were too big to fail, I'd hedge a bet that no matter who is in office come January 2017 (and the next downturn), the second biggest airline in the world (85,000 employees and growing) is seen as too big to fail (liquidate).

So, subject to change with better information, but I see no problem in fixing major issues and increasing pay. This boom and bust cycle is not fun and we as an employee group are complicit is we push for contracts that aren't sustainable in a downturn. I understand that many of the most ardent union dudes say thats just how things work, but I've got to believe there is an alternative...
Contract 2000 didn't lead to the CH11 of United...we could have worked for free and it still wouldn't have stopped the inevitable "restructuring". It is not your job to temper expectations because of fear...