View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 05:32 PM
Viper446
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Default The mindset that will get us nowhere

Heath care is industry leading. The Purple Plan is a very good program, the buy up plan is preserved, and the Geo-Plan is improved. Premiums go up to a max of about $250 per family more in 6 years per month, and amount easily absorbed by the pay raises. The fact we even get to keep what we have is winning in this environment.

FDA improvements are appreciated. As a parent with one child in domicile, the education improvement adds $10,000 after taxes directly to my family, or $60,000 after taxes during this contract. The flex or LAX FO may not benefit, but this is a huge win for our family.

My prediction is we are going to do some work outside section 6 and address some rebalance options. What is the leverage? The leverage is if FedEx can reduce their future funding obligations (and we hear its a 3 dollar or 4 dollar payment for 1 dollar of pilot benefit) there may be a chance to improve our DC in exchange for a reduced DB obligation..

This belief is just laughable.

This is a business decision. Each of you may think you are labor, but you are also a business owner—You.INC. Do the math and figure out what you gain in this deal. Write it down, and add it up. Next, subtract what you lost. Then—figure out what you want to get, and what you honestly think you can extract. Ask how long you think it will take. Compare what you think you can extract down the road to what you are offered now, and then make your best decision. In my case, I am mad about some of the givebacks and disappointed at gains that are lower than I wanted. But when I crunch the numbers, and really look closely, I see a fairly good raise, some solid improvements to work rules, and a chance to get back to work at the top of the industry. Based on my past experience, I think delays will gain us much less than some on the boards think we will capture.

Gains, where?

And then this,

So, if once a year, I get bumped from a trip, or pick up an extra trip, or get drafted for a 5 day pairing I can throw that money in my own investment account to offset the loss.

These aren't options for everyone. Really, we are supposed to fund our own retirement? I have cut these comments out of Albies post. So read his whole post if you want the whole context. But is this really the mindset of our pilots? This attitude comes across as I got mine and it works for me.