View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 10:14 AM
pilotc90a
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: undefined

I wanted to relay a cautionary tale I have just endured.

I wrote a check to pay a bill that I did not want going through my bill payer system. That check was stolen out of my mailbox Monday night or Tuesday morning. The thieves tried to wash the check and cash it Thursday afternoon. Wings Credit Union called me almost immediately after it happened. The teller was new, but something didn't feel right, so she called her supervisor over, and called me. It had the same check number as the one I put in the mail, a signature that resembled mine, and the check had all of the right fraud features including the embossed texture.

Wings locked my account until I could get into a branch the next morning. they opened a new account, transferred the funds, linked all my ATM cards, and reimbursed the money they paid to the crooks. All before noon the following day.

When I got back into town on monday, I went to my local branch to give them a copy of the police report I filed, they said someone tried to cash another check on Friday. They delayed him long enough to call the police. They had it all on video and the idiot used his real name, gave them his SSN, DOB... everything.

I am thankful for stupid criminals, but I am even more grateful to the sharp people at Wings Financial for not only being smart enough to catch a forged check, but for fantastic customer service. They ordered new checks for me, but I am using bill payer from now on!

Lets stay safe out there!