Old 03-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Harblar
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: cessnas - I sit left, right, and back (when I want to take a nap)
Default New to the boards, looking for some advice.

Hi all,

I've been reading through the forums here a little bit trying to get my bearings straight on where I want to go in the industry.

First a little bit about myself.

I'm an 1100 hour pilot with about 60 multi hrs and about 900 hrs dual given. Frankly, I've about had it with instructing. If you like it, thats fine, but I'm sick of never getting to fly myself and always having to harp on students about the same things over and over again. I did the whole UND route through CFII and instructed there for 3 years or so. Also got the ATC major, but I'll save that whole discussion for another time. I then had an oputunity to give part 61 instruction at an FBO in SD, with the option of getting some Right seat SIC in a Citation 2 on a semi regular basis. I logged twenty hours in the first 2-3 weeks and have yet to set foot in it since. That was 6 months ago. So basically I'm thinking I've got enough hours that I might be able to start branching out into other areas of flying. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do as a steady career in the future, whether it be airlines, corporate, frieght, atc, or what, but right now I'm young, not tied down to anything and looking to give everything a shot and see what fits me best.

That being said, I did get a taste of the Corporate side of things with the Citation experience and didn't mind that at all, however I'm still low on hours and multi experience to be able to look at that path to much right now. So I'm starting to take a serious look at regionals.

I've been thinking that if/when I decided to that route I might like to go to Horizon. I know they have longer upgrade times than some, but that doesn't concern me a whole lot. They seem to pay well and have a good fleet of airplanes and I wouldn't mind being based out of anyone of their three locations. As an added bonus I know they're hiring right now, stable, and might have slightly reduced req's for UND alums.

So my questions right now.

How are they to work for? pretty fair to their pilots. good schedules, etc...

Where do most of their new pilots go when they get hired? jets, props, or is it just a craps shoot and you get what you get?

If I went, I'd like to get into a CRJ. Would having 20-30 hrs of SIC turbine experience influence my chances at all?

Are there any good walk throughs/guides on their whole hiring process out there? from resume to getting a class date. tips for things like resumes, filling out apps, sim checks, interviews, etc...

Anyway, any Advice on which way I could go with regional route would be appreciated.

Later