View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 07:46 PM
Pavedickey
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: PC-12/U-28 Evaluator Pilot, B747-400/-8 CA

I think that is where the disconnect lies. The posters here are truly unfamiliar with the way that GA pilots, airfoils, and operations take place, and want to force your way of flying / thinking onto them. This is why my experiences are similar to expert GA pilots, not freight dogs or jet jocks. Unless you are pulling G's in the pattern, ASI give appropriate info and safety margin. If you are pulling G's in the patten or don't have a good feel for the airplane, then IMO you have bigger problems.

--------
This is where your argument lacks strength. The Pilatus PC-12 comes from the factory with a dual AOA system and is integral to flying this GA aircraft. The Airfoil is the same as your 182, so having an AOA indicator based solely on a specific airfoil shape isn't necessarily accurate. That's why Pilatus thought it was a critical component to help single-pilot doctors and lawyers from killing themselves in this thing. The airspeed indicator is nearly useless if you lose the engine on takeoff and have to execute a turn-back to the runway. You don't have time to look up what your L/D Max speed will be for each of the different flap setting you'll need during that maneuver. AOA provides your realtime energy state to prevent a stall and allow you to maximize the glide distance if necessary, or manage excess energy if necessary, that simply flying a set airspeed will not provide.

------
I'd say judge by the scoreboard, not naiive idealism. I don't fly my 182 anywhere near the edges of the envelope (without intentionally doing so), and an AOA gauge would not help my type of flying. After the initial fun factor I'd rarely even look at it.

-----
You don't fly near the edge of the envelope until something unexpected happens and you have to. Having an AOA indication system may make the difference between success and failure. Once you've flown with an AOA indicator, you'll pay as much attention to it as you do the airspeed indicator.