Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 06:44 AM
Jetlife
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post
First of all, we don't get paid 44 grand a year, it's 34 grand. I was here for 7 months making the 34 grand number every week till the first bonus check came out. Also, I have firsthand knowledge of a guy who got online a couple weeks after one of the cutoffs and HR told him he was out of luck. So he isn't getting any 44K a year pay till he's already flown the line for 7.5 months. It's called a bonus for a reason. The only reason they do bonuses instead of real pay is it strings people along with a fat carrot on a stick, when really they should be paid fairly all along. Also it's cheaper than straight pay because some people won't technically qualify till they have been on property for a few months, or if someone leaves before the payout they get out of paying that quoted wage for 4 months.

And yes, I'm worth more than 34K. My age should have nothing to do with it, though I don't fall into the demographic, personal life experience or logbook numbers you put me in. Maybe that's why I'm less than happy here, I have higher quality of life expectations than your average college student. I'm not happy with a pizza and a 6 pack every night like I used to be. Apparently my peers agree with me since we have more contracted lines than we have pilots on the list. If life here was so great we wouldn't be chartering out lines to our competition.

I agree, it's all in the line you get. I wrote from an in station perspective, but since you bring up outstation... Yesterday I had 4 hours with my kids. That's 20 hours a day away from home. I don't care what recreational opportunities are in whatever meth town the layover is at, I want to be home with my family, and I think those sacrifices deserve monetary compensation. I'm cuts deep when my 4 year old looks in my eyes and asks "daddy why are you never home with me?" and my 3 year old says "because he works". For $640 a week take home.

But fine, this place is awesome, and we are paid fairly. Peak should be a rockin' good time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You describe exactly why AMF creates a huge percentage of bitter alumni. This comment will get heat, but AMF is really built for the new, young pilot and the new, young pilot only. It isn't for adults with adult considerations (kids, mortgage, investments, retirements, QOL). The only exception would be the upper level management positions, not base manager and below, but executive level positions. But comparing those positions to like positions in the industry, you're likely to see a huge monetary disconnect there as well.

For the wet ticket ATP or fresh 135 mins pilot who wants to go fly single pilot and build some good skills, go for it! It is a hard sell when regional upgrades are becoming a year or sooner from DOH. What an amazing time to start professional flying. In 2010 when I joined AMF the mentality was "nobody is hiring, take the 28k, shut up and like it, if you don't, I have a line of furloughed airline pilots ready to take your coveted spot." Now they are in full desperation mode trying to get anyone who can fog a mirror and shoot an ILS.

I feel for AMF over the next 5 years, I am not sure they are gonna survive. At least not with some serious downsizing, and I can't imagine the tactic of buying out, or crushing the competition, only to not be able to satisfactorily fill those routes is good for their reputation.