View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 02:17 PM
SrfNFly227
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: PIC Challenger 605
Default Which Plane to Pick?

Looking for advice on a new plane for the boss. The King Air 90 (2007 GT) that we dry lease is going to be sold and we're deciding which way to go. 75% of the trips are under an hour flight time (ORF-IAD) with 1 or 2 passengers. Boss likes to sit up front when it's just him. I've come up with a few options and I'm curious if anybody has ever done a comparison between any of these. If he buys something, it will more than likely end up on the same management certificate as the Challenger 601 that he already owns.

First, buy the plane we've been flying or another KA 90. It fits the mission well and he seems to like it. It is painfully slow though and I feel like it's pretty loud inside.

Second, a Pilatus. I'm leaning this way for a few reasons. It's a few knots faster than the 90 and I would think that operating costs would drop with it being single engine. He does not need the extra size, but I think he'd be open to it as the charter capability would go up.

Third, a TBM. It's the fastest of the turboprop options, but it may be a little on the small side. Not sure this a viable option.

Last, a Phenom 100 or Mustang. I'm typed in and have flown both. I'd push more to the Mustang because of runway performance and because he doesn't really need the extra speed of the Phenom. I'm planning to steer him away from either plane for multiple reasons though, not the least of which is the type rating requirement.

Any and all advice is welcome, but if you chime in, please share your reasoning. Thanks.