View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 05:02 PM
whitt767
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: 7ERB

Originally Posted by SWAcapt View Post
My best friend and boat partner is an 11 year Delta pilot. If I showed him this post you'd move up a number because he'd have a cardiac. He paints a very different picture. About the only thing he likes is the PBS. I am glad however that you are happy there. Delta's future is you and people like you. The guys that have been around a while have taken it in the shorts so badly that many are very bitter. It's nice to see a positive upbeat attitude. Best wishes to you.
If your friend has been at Delta for 11 Yrs, then he has never been furloughed, is probably a senior intl FO or an 88 Capt, and recieved approx $300k from the Note Payout. He likes PBS, because it is ok for senior pilots. He is one year from top pay in any seat. He is at a rising company that seems to have a plan. He will probably recieve another $200k from the Claim payout and got a fairly large MPPP check. Depending on his age, will have a nice amount in his 401k at age 60. If age 65 hits, then he will do quite nicely (assuming good health). He lost 42% of his pay from the best airline contract ever awarded. He also moved up 2000 line numbers when the over 50 crowd left. Based on what else is going on in the industry, he is fortunate.

Lots of times, airline pilots will make their own life hard. The choose to commute, choose to sit reserve, and choose to spend more than they should. Your friend is probably a great guy, but those other factors may be included in his attitude.

Morale actually is good. Hopefully the good relations between the Union and the Company will continue. Time will tell. I'm optimistic, yet cautious (furloughed for 5 years).